The upheaval of this past year has provided the opportunity to establish new norms and to think outside the box in every aspect of life, especially professionally.
The IDEAS community values continued growth and professional development so that you are using the skills God has given you in the most efficient and effective way.
If you're looking for ways to step outside the box, here are 10 tips to reinvent yourself professionally:
- Declutter. Let go of what you don’t need physically and emotionally. As you let go of those old T-shirts or negative self-talk, notice what you feel.
- Change your routine. Big change begins with small change in any aspect of life, and it doesn’t take much to start creating new pathways in the brain. For example, take a new route home from work.
- Get uncomfortable. Take baby steps outside your comfort zone. Eating by myself in a restaurant is awkward and uncomfortable, but it’s also empowering and builds my self-confidence to step in other ways outside my comfort zone.
- Write your narrative. Who do you want to become? Be honest. Express yourself creatively. Brainstorm a vision plan, make a collage, or create a song.
- Embrace failure. Failure is a natural and necessary part of growing and developing. One of my favorite quotes is, “If you’re not failing, you’re not innovating” by Elon Musk.
- Recognize resistance. Our nature is to seek the path of least resistance. Noticing how I am resisting change is a huge step forward.
- Seek a mentor. Who in your life has the character and skills you’d like to emulate? How did they get to where they are today?
- Be open. God often presents opportunities outside our expectations. Take advantage of possibilities right in front of you that match who you are. For suggestions, click here to check out current IDEAS opportunities.
- Contextualize your profession. Every trade and profession teaches skills (such as leadership, communication, and organization skills) that can cross over into other professions. What transferable skills have you developed in your current or previous profession?
- Persevere. God doesn’t waste our experiences and builds us towards the next step, even if it looks completely different from what we imagined.
What small step will you take today towards reinventing yourself professionally?
About the Author: Deirdre works in the IDEAS office as the Executive Support Specialist. She teaches Hebrew, is an avid runner, and loves to travel. Enjoy other blog posts by Deirdre, such as Practicing What I Learned in 2020.