Transitions are hard, and they're also opportunities for transformation. Many of us are in the midst of transition, whether adjusting to a new normal, undergoing a life change, switching jobs, working from home, or living overseas. Whatever your new normal may be, here are 5 tips to help you thrive!
- Adjust Expectations. Keep your expectations realistic. How much can you realistically accomplish in a day? What are sensible expectations of your family, teammates, or co-workers? Unrealistic expectations can lead to disillusionment. Disillusionment is a feeling of disappointment, when we realize life is not unfolding as we thought it should. If you sense your mood going sour, ask yourself if your expectations need re-adjusting.
- Laugh Often. Communication mishaps and interpersonal misunderstandings happen. It's healthy to laugh at yourself. Share a giggle with a friend over a funny episode. A friend of mine, just learning the local language, asked for "meat" in his coffee instead of "milk." A bit embarrassing, but it won him some friends at the café. Welcome these innocent imperfections, and have a good laugh.
- Practice Humility. Realize you actually don’t know everything. It’s much better to start out humble as a learner than to be a “know-it-all.” The more arrogant and confident you are about all you know, the harder the fall will be!
- Embrace Failure. The fear of failing strips us of the courage we need to live each day with purpose. We all make mistakes — how do we react to our failures? Do we try to hide it? Do we pass the blame on to someone else? Or do we acknowledge it, ask for forgiveness if needed, and move on? Embracing these uncomfortable moments promotes learning and growth. Avoiding them holds us back from what we can become and accomplish.
- Be Thankful. Each day has gifts. Some days they'll seem hidden, but they're still there. The consistent sunrise, the contented squeal of your neighbor's child, the assistance of the parking attendant — look for the big AND little things. Journal them if you want. Taking time to thank God and others throughout my day, helps me stay more positive, even during the tough times.
What empowers you to thrive in this season of your life?
This blog post was originally published as "10 Habits to Boost Your Ability to Flourish" and has been modified to address how to thrive in the midst of current life events.
About the Author: After living in Morocco with her family for 9 years, Alicia and her family now reside in a Chicago suburb, where she is working on her MA in Counseling. Alicia loves time with her grown kids, hearing people's varied stories, collecting scarves, and writing blogs for See Beyond (an IDEAS Associate's business). Click here for the original blog posting.