Because IDEAS works in over 13 countries to restore hope in marginalized communities, we’ve seen a few airports. . . and we’ve eaten at a few airport restaurants!
What we’ve discovered is that you don’t have to settle for bad airport food anymore. It has come of age, friends. Even the fussiest foodie can find something to please the palate these days.
Here are a few of our favorite airport restaurants in case you happen to be passing through one of these airports during your summer travels. Just the very idea of eating at one of these is enough to get us through a long flight.
- Carluccio’s (LHR) - I used to dread flying through Heathrow (LHR). That all changed in 2008 when they opened Terminal 5. Head to Carluccio’s for Italian coffee, flaky croissants, or a full breakfast in the morning; a mozzarella panini and gelato for lunch; or a three-course dinner in the evening. The interior is bright and breezy, and service is quick. If you’re in a really big hurry, you can also grab something fresh and delicious to go.
- Yankee Pier (SFO) – When passing through San Francisco (SFO), try Yankee Pier located in Terminal 3. There’s nothing like having one of their fabulous breakfasts upon arriving back in the U.S. after a long flight from Asia-Pacific. And it’s quick, especially if you sit at the counter. If you find yourself at SFO at other times, you won’t be disappointed by their classic New England clam chowder either.
- Joe and the Juice (CPH) – Check out Joe and the Juice when in Copenhagen (CPH). Not only is the staff a blast, the food is fresh, healthy, and convenient.
- Turkish Airlines Business Lounge (IST) – Next time you’re flying through Istanbul (IST), be sure to visit the Turkish Airlines Business Lounge. The variety and quality of food is off the charts!
- Root Down (DIA) – For fresh, farm-to-table food (at an airport!) enjoy Root Down the next time you’re in Denver (DIA). Located in Concourse C, they serve delicious, healthy, comfort food and are gluten and vegan friendly. My favorite is the Colorado Lamb Sliders.
These are just a few of the many good airport restaurants out there. Tell us your favorite, and happy travels!
About the Author: Deirdre enjoyed collecting input from the IDEAS office staff. She works in the IDEAS office as the Operations Support Specialist, teaches Hebrew, is an avid runner, and loves to travel. Enjoy other posts by Deirdre, such as Signs of New Life.